Gender Markers

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by RCus on Sun May 18, 2014 7:40 pm

How about an orange questioning burger? Or like.. A different color?
avatar
RCus
Admin

Posts : 263
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 23

http://tranburgers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by shaymin on Mon May 19, 2014 12:08 am

question: could we have a spot on our profile for our preferred pronouns? or would that be unnecessary ?
avatar
shaymin

Posts : 96
Join date : 2014-05-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by RCus on Mon May 19, 2014 12:36 am

Um.. Seeing as how the burger icons indicate gender, the pronouns are built in? Although I guess if an nb changes or doesn't like "they" that may be an issue. I'll try to come up with a clean solution. Suggestions?
avatar
RCus
Admin

Posts : 263
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 23

http://tranburgers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by RCus on Mon May 19, 2014 3:21 am

BTW, I added a new gender burger for questioning! I made it yellow, because that's what uncertain parents go for. It looks like a normal burger whoops.

Also, there's a preferred pronoun box on your profile that won't show up on messages. If enough people want it we can add it to messages too.
avatar
RCus
Admin

Posts : 263
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 23

http://tranburgers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by shaymin on Mon May 19, 2014 11:17 am

Thanks! I have my burger set to nb, but im more used to he pronouns, which is why i was asking!
I think just on profiles is fine. If someone needs to use someones pronouns, its not too much work to check their profile.
avatar
shaymin

Posts : 96
Join date : 2014-05-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by Eliot on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:18 pm

I didn't know what they were at first, until I hovered. I don't think that nonbinary should be together because it's not a gender. I suggest one option for agender and bigender people. And as an intersex person, intersex is not a seperate gender but you could add intersex male and intersex female I guess.

Also it might be because I can't differentiate the colors, but I don't know what N and Q are supposed to be?

Eliot

Posts : 23
Join date : 2014-06-23
Age : 22

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by speakerofthevastcroak on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Eliot wrote:I didn't know what they were at first, until I hovered. I don't think that nonbinary should be together because it's not a gender. I suggest one option for agender and bigender people. And as an intersex person, intersex is not a seperate gender but you could add intersex male and intersex female I guess.

Also it might be because I can't differentiate the colors, but I don't know what N and Q are supposed to be?

N = neutrois/agender (I think), Q = questioning. And I don't quite understand what you mean by nonbinary not being a gender, could you elaborate?

Also, having separate options for bigender people does sound like a good idea, since they don't really fall under 'nonbinary', but having too many could get complicated - maybe just a standard 'fluid' option would be better, although that might fit more neatly in the 'are you trans/cis' part of profiles.

speakerofthevastcroak

Posts : 20
Join date : 2014-06-23
Age : 20

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by RCus on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:27 pm

N=Neutrois(which is the same thing as agender from my understanding?) and q=questioning. They're all color coded so this is gonna get interesting. What colors you recommend for intersex, bigender, and agender? Should intersex be listed with cis/trans status or the markers?

You're our first intersex member and the icons are made when the need for them arises because I don't want to do anything that might be wrong. So I'd really appreciate/need your input!
avatar
RCus
Admin

Posts : 263
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 23

http://tranburgers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by Eliot on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:41 pm

speakerofthevastcroak wrote:
Eliot wrote:I didn't know what they were at first, until I hovered. I don't think that nonbinary should be together because it's not a gender. I suggest one option for agender and bigender people. And as an intersex person, intersex is not a seperate gender but you could add intersex male and intersex female I guess.

Also it might be because I can't differentiate the colors, but I don't know what N and Q are supposed to be?

N = neutrois/agender (I think), Q = questioning. And I don't quite understand what you mean by nonbinary not being a gender, could you elaborate?

Also, having separate options for bigender people does sound like a good idea, since they don't really fall under 'nonbinary', but having too many could get complicated - maybe just a standard 'fluid' option would be better, although that might fit more neatly in the 'are you trans/cis' part of profiles.

Nonbinary is an "umbrella" word that means a transgender person who is not male or female. Bigender and agender both fall under nonbinary.

As for the intersex thing, throwing it in with the cis/trans thing isn't good because an intersex person can be either of those. But it isn't a gender either, I suggested intersex female/male but since you decided against FTM/MTF I'm not sure if that would work. Maybe have a dyadic/intersex option?

Eliot

Posts : 23
Join date : 2014-06-23
Age : 22

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by speakerofthevastcroak on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Eliot wrote:

Nonbinary is an "umbrella" word that means a transgender person who is not male or female. Bigender and agender both fall under nonbinary.

As for the intersex thing, throwing it in with the cis/trans thing isn't good because an intersex person can be either of those. But it isn't a gender either, I suggested intersex female/male but since you decided against FTM/MTF I'm not sure if that would work. Maybe have a dyadic/intersex option?

Bluh, terribly sorry, I must be confused. Are you using bigender to mean 'switches from male to female', or is there some other meaning of which I am unaware?

And having a dyadic/intersex option sounds like a good idea, so if you think it's necessary, I second that part.

speakerofthevastcroak

Posts : 20
Join date : 2014-06-23
Age : 20

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by RCus on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:09 pm

All right, I'll add a dyadic/intersex option!

Also, I'm thinking about adding a "???" Option to trans or not for questioning people but uh.
avatar
RCus
Admin

Posts : 263
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 23

http://tranburgers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by Remus Lupin on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:52 pm

HOLY SHIT I CAN SEE THE BURGERS NOW also sounds like a cool idea.
avatar
Remus Lupin

Posts : 71
Join date : 2014-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by RCus on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:15 pm

Shit, I can't seem to add anything to the trans/cis thing..

I've added an intersex option (y/n) that only shows up on your profile but I can edit it to be on messages too if you'd like.

The burger icons aren't very colorblind friendly are they :c The hover text is there but some people don't catch them. I just.. don't know what words/letters to use. I'm hesitant about even using F/M as the alternate text because I associate those with sex, not gender but as single letters it doesn't feel so bad. Icons are my preferred form because the little mini-profile on the posts can get cluttered pretty fast..

For the bigender icon, how about a half pink, half purple icon? like split right down the middle. I think the neutrois burger is going to be the agender burger; the alt text for them has changed.

M, F, NB, Neutrois/Agender, Questioning are the current options, bigender is a WIP.
avatar
RCus
Admin

Posts : 263
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 23

http://tranburgers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by Eliot on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:08 am

If we've got bigender and agender, why do we need NB?
And shouldn't bigender be whatever color happens when you mix the male and female ones together (unless that's impossible then just ignore me)

Eliot

Posts : 23
Join date : 2014-06-23
Age : 22

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:13 pm

RCus wrote:Shit, I can't seem to add anything to the trans/cis thing..

I've added an intersex option (y/n) that only shows up on your profile but I can edit it to be on messages too if you'd like.

The burger icons aren't very colorblind friendly are they :c The hover text is there but some people don't catch them. I just.. don't know what words/letters to use. I'm hesitant about even using F/M as the alternate text because I associate those with sex, not gender but as single letters it doesn't feel so bad. Icons are my preferred form because the little mini-profile on the posts can get cluttered pretty fast..

For the bigender icon, how about a half pink, half purple icon? like split right down the middle. I think the neutrois burger is going to be the agender burger; the alt text for them has changed.

M, F, NB, Neutrois/Agender, Questioning are the current options, bigender is a WIP.

You should just change the text for the purple one to B. The NB one isn't necessary. Because red + blue = purple and because you don't need no split side or anything. Bigender doesn't mean ~switches between male and female~, that's a bullshit definition.

Bigender means a trans person has sex dysphoria and wants to have both male and female genitals (be hermaphrodite).

EDIT: I saw you added a split one for bigender. I am NOT going to use that one.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by RCus on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:13 pm

Some people are more comfortable with a general nonbinary one though. I can change the NB one to a lighter purple and make the bigender one a darker purple?
avatar
RCus
Admin

Posts : 263
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 23

http://tranburgers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:25 pm

RCus wrote:Some people are more comfortable with a general nonbinary one though. I can change the NB one to a lighter purple and make the bigender one a darker purple?

But there are only two non-binary genders: agender and bigender. Anyway, bigender should be purple.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gender Markers

Post by speakerofthevastcroak on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Emrys wrote:

But there are only two non-binary genders: agender and bigender. Anyway, bigender should be purple.

Er...no? No there aren't only two nonbinary genders? I won't bog this thread down with tons of nonbinary labels, but it's possible to feel dysphoria in quite a few non-binary patterns, and a) agender definitely doesn't cover all of them and b) bigender is switching back and forth between male and female, last time I checked, not someone who wishes to have two sets of genitalia. The meaning could have changed since then, but I checked fairly recently. I believe the label for the latter is generally 'hermaphrodite' 'androgyne' or simply 'nonbinary'. There are many nonbinary people who neither wish to be hermaphroditic nor wish to lack genitalia and secondary sex characteristics. Also, I hate to bring up pet issues, but if you get rid of the nonbinary burger I don't really have any place to go. The nonbinary burger has a purpose, the split bigender burger has a purpose, let's keep them around.

speakerofthevastcroak

Posts : 20
Join date : 2014-06-23
Age : 20

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Gender Markers

Post by RCus on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:01 pm

I'm leaving the nonbinary and I'll probably add a genderfluid burger.
avatar
RCus
Admin

Posts : 263
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 23

http://tranburgers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Gender Markers

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum